Tuesday, June 24, 2008

CVS Deals - Week of June 22

Today I made a trip to our local CVS store. When I started reading other blogs about the CVS Extra Care card I realized that the program was something I could and should learn to use especially now that I have a little one in diapers. As I started looking through other peoples ideas and deals, I came to the conclusion that for me what would work best is not necessarily buying all the deals that got Extra Bucks back and certainly not buying 20 tubes of toothpaste for a deal, but rather an approach that I would go in actually needing one item and then working a deal in which I got the item I needed and then stacking on additional items for free. This way I would come out of CVS with the item I needed (whether or not I paid full price) but with several other items for free that we either need, liked, but wouldn't ordinarily buy because of price or could use as a gift.

So far, it's working!!

Take for instance my shopping trip today. I started out with $6.99 in ECBs (Extra Care Bucks that work like cash) and two $4.00 off $20.00 CVS coupons. I made two deals.

Deal One:

42 Count box of Prilosec (my husband lives by this and I would have had to buy this regardless - normally I pay around 22.00 at Wal-Mart)

Cost $25.99
Coupon $1.00 off manufacturer
Coupon $4.00 off $20.00
ECBs $6.99
Final Cost $14.00
Plus I earned $3.00 ECBs

Deal Two:

Jumbo pack of Pampers Diapers (again I actually needed these this week)

Cost $13.99

I added to this transaction:

1 Aussie conditioner (needed) $2.99
1 Colgate Total toothpaste $2.99
2 Suave Body Washes $5.00

Total $24.97
Coupons $1.50 off toothpaste
$1.50 off Pampers
$2.00 off 2 Suave
$4.00 off CVS
ECBs $3.00
Final Cost: $13.87
Plus I earned $7.00 ECBs

So technically, I just saved our family $8.00 from the Prilosec as normally I would have just purchased it at Wal-Mart and I paid less for everything I got in the second transaction than the pack of diapers alone would have cost me!!

I think I'm getting the hang of this!!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

good for you I have NEVER been able to figure out these frugal blogs things...I will keep reading and try to learn.